Here are some sightings of interest from this past week (July 25 – 31, 2016)) at my brother’s cottage on Big Gull Lake, south of Bon Echo Provincial Park.
- Family group of Cooper’s Hawks. Two or three very vocal juveniles, “whistling” loudly. As big as adults.
- A covey of 8 Ruffed Grouse, almost adult size.
- A Hummingbird Clearwing Moth on the petunias at the dock.
- A “convocation” of five, non-breeding Common Loons on the lake.
- A larval Blue-spotted Salamander, which was still showing gills behind the head. Was in a backwater section of shoreline, protected from waves by a large fallen log.
- Several Dragonhunter dragonflies.
- Numerous Red-eyed Vireos (probably young ones) on cottage property.
- Two Ruby-throated Hummingbirds at nectar feeder.
- Cardinal flowers in bloom along shoreline.
- Bird song: Hermit Thrush, Red-eyed Vireo, Pine Warbler